Monday, November 3, 2014

Ease Your Burdens

Hola familia! (do I sound like an Hermana?) 

This week was just cray cray. It was probably the slooowwwest week of my mission so far. We had like... a total of 4 appointments actually follow through. 

All the rest didn't show. 

People are just disappearing its so weird!! So we've been trying so hard all week to find new investigators. Texting old potentials, street contacting, referrals, you name it. But hopefully this week turns things around! 

Last week on P-day we went to Belle Isle (I sent a bunch of pics of course)! There's a bridge that crosses the James River and under the bridge there is a little suspended bridge that people can walk across to Belle Isle, which is all these cool rocks and stuff down on the river. It was such a nice day and the leaves were changing, so pretty. 

It's been super cold outside this week, like freezing all of the sudden. IM NOT READY FOR WINTER. I've heard horror stories about winter in Virginia, so it should be fun. 

We had a super amazing experience this week. We met with an investigator, I won't say who it is just because its personal, but its a girl and she is just going through the hardest time right now. She's really young, in college, and she told us a little bit ago that she was pregnant with twin girls but that her family didn't want anything to do with it, and wouldn't help her at all. The father also basically left her to figure it out. Then one night, she text us and said that she went to the emergency room and that they told her that it was a high risk pregnancy and that she'd have to be on bed rest until the babies were born. We went and visited her, and she seemed like she was doing great despite the hard situation. Then, the next day she text us and told us that she had a miscarriage and lost both babies. We were just heart broken for her. We went to her apartment and just sat on her bed with her while she cried. We read Mosiah 24 with her and the spirit just filled the room. 

13 And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions.

15 And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his brethren were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord.

That chapter is so powerful. We talked to her about how sometimes God doesn't promise that he will take our burdens, but that he will help us carry them. As we sat and talked to her, I just felt so unqualified. I've never, ever dealt with anything like this. Who am I to tell her everything is going to be okay? I can't even say that I know how she feels. 

But that is the whole message that we carry as missionaries. 

I will never know what she felt when she lost those babies. I'm just a young girl myself. But I do know, that Christ knows exactly how she feels.  He alone has carried her burdens. And he alone can make them light, just like Alma and his brethren. That is such a comfort to me as a missionary. I don't have to know everything or experience everything to help people. I'm just guiding them to the one person who does and has. 

Then she just turned to us and said, "can we say a prayer?" I will never forget that prayer. I know that the gospel is the only way we can truly find healing from life's blows. Life is so hard! But it's never too hard that we can't reach out to our Savior and ask for His help. 

I'm so grateful I get to help people in just the little ways that I can here in Virginia. There's nothing more rewarding! 

Thanks for all the love, I just love hearing from you all. :)

XOXO, Sister Fowers





No comments:

Post a Comment