Monday, September 21, 2015

"You are not cast in stone."

Helllloooooooooooooooooo.

This week has been crazy! 

Just to follow up with y'all, our zone didn't win the 5-K contest :/ so that's a bummer. But it was still fun! I may or may not have been super super super sore afterward. Obviously I need to run more! smh. hahaha.

On Tuesday we had sisters meeting! It was awesome. The whole meeting was based around Christ-like attributes and how we can become more Christ-like missionaries and individuals.
 Sister Nordstrom and I trained on patience and it went great!
 I always get nervous giving trainings (we all know how much I love public speaking..........haha not), but I'm always amazed at how the Spirit takes over and helps me.
 One thing that stood out to me from the meeting was something that President Wilson said. He was talking about Heavenly Father's love and said, 
"I feel His love constantly, because I see God everywhere." 
I love that. If we just stop and look around, there is so much evidence of His love.
 We just need to have the eyes to see it!

We taught a new investigator named Lauren on Wednesday and it went well. She had some really awesome comments and questions so we'll see how our next lesson goes!

We also taught a guy named Alec the other day. We met him on campus and he told us that his aunt had had lessons with missionaries and he had sat in on some. He told us that he thought the Book of Mormon wasn't true, that Jesus couldn't come to America, and that we teach false doctrine.... hahaha. So we were a little worried going into the lesson that it was going to be a Bible bash. I hate those. But it turned out better than we thought! The member we brought was perfect for him and we just kind of confounded him with some verses from the Bible that made him think. He had a lot of questions about the Plan of Salvation, so pray that his heart is softened! 
It was funny though, at the end of the lesson we invited him to be baptized when he comes to know this is true and he said "No, I won't even promise that, because I know I won't know its true."

So I just said, "Well, I know that if you ask God, with an open heart, YOU WILL!" I love testifying. No one can argue with a testimony ;) 

Then on Saturday a recent convert from the branch got married! His name is Nathan, he married a returned missionary, they are so awesome. I can't wait for them to be sealed in the temple on his year mark! My old companion, Sister Weber, baptized him, so she came back for the wedding too! So it was good seeing her and catching up :) 

Guess what was Saturday night though........... transfer calls.

Yep.

And of course, I'm getting transferred. Not super surprised, but sad to leave this area. I have loved serving here so much and I am going to miss YSA :( I have made so many lifelong friends and had my testimony strengthened so much. Its crazy how Heavenly Father sends me to exactly where I need to be though, so I have no doubt He will send me where I need to go tomorrow at transfer meeting. This will be my 11th companion though! I think I might hold the record for most companions hahaha. The more the merrier though!

Packing is the worst though. Two suitcases is not enough room! hahaha.

Happy news is that my recent convert Kelsey spoke in church yesterday for my last Sunday! I felt like a proud mom. :) She is so awesome, I love her so much.
 Then the branch president asked that I go up and share my testimony since I was being transferred, and I shared something that I have been thinking a lot about lately, which is change
I have learned so much about it! I have seen so many people, like Kelsey and Austin and so many others change their whole lives! Its crazy to me. I don't think I ever really understood the power of Christ's Atonement and how it can help us change. There is a talk I love called "Be the Fourth Missionary" and there is a part in it that I love so much. It says:

"As you consider the question of what kind of person you will become, you must understand the dynamic process of life. You not only can change, but you do change all of the time Sometimes people do not believe this. They excuse their failures and weaknesses by saying,'That's just the way I am.' 'I am just a short tempered, impatient person.' 'I can't get up in the morning. That's just the way I am.' 'That's my nature." Or, 'I'm just shy. That's all. That's just who I am.' "I'm not really a spiritual person.' 

To believe that weaknesses and deficiencies in your character are unchangeable is to reject the central truth of the plan of salvation. You are not cast in stone. You not only can change, but you do change all of the time. You are a dynamic, changing, evolving being. You are always changing. You never stay the same. You cannot stand still."

I love that so much! It is never, ever, ever too late to change. Every single day is a new chance to start over, to be new. I'm so grateful for my Savior who made it so we never have to give up on ourselves, even when we want to. 

Also, happy news!! Remember last year when our mission did the Book of Mormon read-a-thon??? WE'RE DOING IT AGAIN! Yayyy! Basically, every missionary in the mission will be reading the Book of Mormon in one week. We can go to appointments that we have set up, but every other second of the day we will be reading. That means we have to read at least 75 pages a day! It will start on September 28th, so we can read the week before general conference. So you knew this was coming.... Do it with us! That's my challenge for you :) and then tell me how it goes! I know it will strengthen your testimony of the Restored Gospel and of the Book of Mormon. So get excited! 

I am so excited for these next few weeks, my new area, companion, all of it. There are only good things ahead :) 

Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

XOXO, Sister Fowers 

Sisters Meeting










The wedding




More 5K pics





No comments:

Post a Comment